Puppy


Ten years ago our neighbours were transferred to another tea estate. They left on Christmas Day and gave us a puppy. My sister wrapped it in a cloth and gave it a full jug of milk to drink. I did not like it because it was ugly.
I came to Colombo soon after and didn't return for two or three months. When I arrived back a big fat dog came out of the house and started barking at me. Amazingly the small puppy had become a big dog although he was still called "Puppy."
Other dogs looked very small in comparison to him. He was a very peculiar dog.
One day when I set off to catch the bus for Colombo with my bags. As I was walking I heard something coming after me. I looked back, it was Puppy. He jumped all over me with his muddy paws, howled and licked me all over. I tried to chase him away but he wouldn't go. When the bus came he leapt aboard and wanted to come with me. I was so embarrassed! Everyone was looking at me. I had to get off the bus and was only saved by my sister who arrived with a chain and with the greatest difficulty carried him off home.
My family said that Puppy used to eat small goats and would return home with a full tummy and sleep it off for hours on end. He we went anywhere by car he would chase after us and returning home would refuse to eat for days.
This is not the only story about Puppy--there are many others. But the saddest part is that Puppy is not with us today he died three years ago of distemper.
VAGIRA

No comments: